8164A Lightwave Measurement System Firmware
This software does not update modules
You may have an earlier firmware revision installed on your 8164A. While the 8164A is booting, it automatically checks compliance of firmware and modules installed. In case of non-compliance you will be notified to update the firmware.
To make the 8164A compliant with newer modules by updating the firmware, you do not need to return them to Agilent Technologies.
Follow the Update Procedure below to install the newest firmware revision on your 8164A Mainframe.
Note: If the serial number of your 8164A Lightwave Measurement System is DExxxxx339 or below, problems with writing files to the floppy disk drive may occur in rare cases. If this is the case, please contact your nearest Agilent Technologies Sales / Service Office.
To install the latest Firmware Revision for the 8164A, you require two empty floppy disks.
Download the file "8164axxx.zip" and extract the contents to a directory on your PC, here called 64FwUpdate
Instructions to create update floppies
- Format the two two floppy disks (3.5", 1.44 MByte) with your PC, and label them as DISK64_1 and DISK64_2.
- Insert the DISK64_1 into your PC (drive a: is presumed)
- Open a DOS command window
- Change to the directory where you have extracted the files to
Copy the update disk image file (update.img) to DISK64_1 using the command:
> copydisk.exe update.img a:
- Insert the DISK64_2 into your PC (drive a: is presumed),
Copy the firmware files to DISK64_2:
> copy firmware.1 a:
> copy firmware.2 a:
Instructions to update the new firmware using the floppies:
- Insert DISK64_1 into the floppy drive of the 8164A mainframe.
Put 8164A into firmware download mode
- Turn on the 8164A
- Right after the first beep
. Press and hold the [Preset] hardkey.
. Still holding [Preset], press and hold the [Aux] hardkey.
. Still holding [Preset] and [Aux], press and hold the [Appl] hardkey.
Tip: As this procedure takes only a second, use three fingers and place
them near the hardkeys in advance!
- If you were successful, you hear a double beep and the display shows that
the instrument is in download mode.
- Otherwise, turn off the power and try again.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
- Insert DISK64_2 when requested to insert the disk containing the file
"firmware.1" (remember, this disk contains both firmware.1 and firmware.2)
- After the programming finishes, cycle the power. The instrument will
reboot with the new firmware.
|Release Date||Version||Version Description|
|2010-11-22||5.25||8164A Lightwave Measurement System Firmware with support of Reference Receiver and Reference Transmitter optical modules|
How to Download
- See Above
How to Install
- See Above
- Does Not Require a License