Key Features & Specifications
- Measure noise figure of amplifiers, mixers, and converters up to 50 GHz with a built-in low-noise receiver, and up to 67 GHz with a standard S-parameter receiver
- With a single connection, obtain fast, high-accuracy measurements of S-parameters, noise figure, compression, IMD, harmonics, and more
- Advanced error-correction techniques fully remove effects of imperfect system source match and receiver noise figure
- Surpasses the accuracy provided by Y-factor-based noise figure analyzers and spectrum analyzers
- Measurements up to 50 GHz are simple to set up and calibrate, without the need for additional amplifiers or filters
- Fast sweep times improve throughput in manufacturing
Fully compatible with Maury Microwave noise-parameter solutions
Option 029 adds hardware and firmware for high-accuracy noise figure measurements of amplifiers, frequency converters, and mixers, utilizing Agilent’s unique source-correction technique. The built-in low-noise receiver works up to the full frequency range of the instrument for N5241/42/44/45A models, and up to 50 GHz for the N5247A model. Using an Agilent ECal module configured as an impedance tuner for N5241/42A models, or a built-in tuner for N5244/45/47A models, the effects of imperfect system-source match and receiver noise figure are fully removed, greatly improving the accuracy of the cold- source technique. This approach surpasses the accuracy provided by the Y-factor method and other cold-source implementations. A scalar calibration choice is also available that offers less accuracy but is faster, and for N5241/42A models, does not require the external ECal module used as an impedance tuner.
For calibration of the noise receiver, Option 029 requires a power meter or a 346 series noise source (346C or 346C-K01 recommended). For measurements of mixers and converters, a power meter is always required. The noise source and power meters are only used during calibration of the analyzer. During the S-parameter portion of the noise calibration, a separate ECal module or mechanical calibration kit is required. Option 029 also allows noise figure measurements using the standard receivers for high-gain (> 60 dB), narrowband devices that might otherwise overload the low-noise receiver, or for noise figure measurements up to 67 GHz on the N5247A (an external preamp and filter may be required).
The PNA-X with Option 029 is ideal for use with Maury Microwave impedance tuners for practical, fast noise-parameter characterizations that are as easy as measuring S-parameters. The new PNA-X-based solution is over two orders of magnitude faster than traditional systems and dramatically more accurate.
Related Industries & Technologies
Training & Events
Enroll in myAgilent
A personalized view into the information most relevant to you.
Register Your Product
Register your products for service notifications, firmware update alerts, application notes and more…
Why Buy Agilent
See how the Agilent Advantage adds value to your purchase.
Learn about Keysight
Agilent’s Electronic Measurement Group is becoming Keysight Technologies.