Key Features & Specifications
Custom signal creation, measurement and data analysis with MATLAB
- Create arbitrary waveforms
- Customize your measurement and data analysis routines
- Create your own instruments applications and test systems
- Automates measurements, signal generation, and report generation
MATLAB configurations available
- MATLAB is available in three configurations directly from Agilent Technologies with the purchase of a new compatible instrument
- Install and execute MATLAB on a remote PC and communicate with instruments via GPIB or LAN
- Install and execute MATLAB directly on X-Series signal analyzers and select arbitrary waveform generators
Automation and communication interface
- GPIB, LAN, USB, and VISA communications protocol support
- Communicate with the instruments using SCPI programming or instrument drivers (IVI, MATLAB)
- MATLAB instrument drivers created, tested and supported by Agilent for Agilent X-Series signal generators, X-Series signal analyzers and PSA spectrum analyzers
- Agilent Waveform Download Assistant for MATLAB with Agilent ESG, PSG and X-Series signal generators
Multiple MATLAB application examples and other features included with the N6171A purchase
- Additional technical capability - Users purchasing N6171A MATLAB software from Agilent receive multiple MATLAB application examples with source code as a key benefit or ordering MATLAB software together with your Agilent instrument. Details below
- Single purchase order - Order MATLAB together with your Agilent instrument so that it can be on a single purchase order to save you time, reduce ordering complexity, and typically add only a minimal cost to the purchase
- Guaranteed Access - By ordering MATLAB as the N6171A option with your instrument, you ensure that you always have your own MATLAB software license available when you need to use MATLAB with or without your Agilent instrument
- Dual technical support - MATLAB installation and technical support is available from either Agilent and or MathWorks when you purchase MATLAB software from Agilent
MATLAB is a well-respected software environment and programming language created by MathWorks and now available directly from Agilent as an option with most signal generators, signal analyzers, and spectrum analyzers. MATLAB extends the capabilities of Agilent signal analyzers and generators to make custom measurements, analyze and visualize data, create arbitrary waveforms, control instruments, and build test systems. It provides interactive tools and command-line functions for data analysis tasks such as signal processing, signal modulation, digital filtering, and curve fitting. MATLAB has over 1,000,000 users in diverse industries and disciplines, and it is a standard at more than 3,500 colleges and universities worldwide. Three MATLAB configurations are available and range from basic MATLAB capabilities that allow acquisition and analysis of data to full support for signal processing, communications, filter design, and automated testing.
MATLAB software is available for purchase directly from Agilent with the purchase of a new compatible instrument:
- Spectrum and Signal Analyzers: X-Series, PSA
- Vector Signal Generators: X-Series, ESG, PSG
- Vector Signal Generators: M9381A PXIe, M9392A PXI
- PXI and AXIe Controllers: all models
- Arbitrary Waveform Generators: M8190A, M9330A, M9331A, 81180B
- Pulse Function Arbitrary Noise Generator: 81150A, 81160A
- Extend the functionality of Agilent signal and spectrum analyzers with MATLAB by analyzing and visualizing measurements, testing modulation schemes, and automating measurements
- Excite electronic devices using Agilent signal generators with simple or complex waveforms created in MATLAB
- Test the functionality of electronic devices by making measurements with Agilent instruments and comparing them against known baselines in MATLAB
- Develop a GUI or application that enables users to perform data analysis or testing
- Characterize an electronic device to determine how closely it matches the design
- Verify new algorithms or measurement routines using live data from Agilent instruments
- Design custom digital filters in MATLAB and apply them to signals acquired from an Agilent instrument
Download MATLAB technical kit with application examples available with your N6171A MATLAB purchase
Download the technical kit containing an application note and multiple free MATLAB application examples to demonstrate the value of using MATLAB software together with Agilent signal generators, signal analyzers, PXI and AXIe modular hardware, and other instruments. Note: While these applications are provided at no charge and you are welcome to use them, they require a MATLAB license to operate, and many of these applications are not modifiable until your purchase the N6171A MATLAB option.
Order the N6171A MATLAB option together with your Agilent instrument purchase and receive access to the modifiable version of these example applications (in MATLAB file format). These modifiable examples will allow you to extend or customize the capabilities of these instruments for your specific setup. Applications examples and modifiable MATLAB source code included with your N6171A purchase include:
- Waveform sequencing, secure waveform upload, and long waveform generation application examples for your Agilent X-series signal generator.
- Fast (deep) data capture in IQ Mode and ACPR measurement automation application examples for with your Agilent X-series signal generator.
- IQTools application example for Agilent M8190A – Generate arbitrary waveforms and performing amplitude correction for Agilent M8190A, 81180A, M933xA, 81150A, 81160A, and other Agilent signal generators.
- Custom signal generation and playback – Create an arbitrary signal in MATLAB, modulate this signal using digital modulation techniques, upload the IQ data to an Agilent RF signal generator, transmit it, acquire the IQ measurement, and playback the recovered audio stream.
- IQ Data Capture – Acquire live IQ Data from Agilent signal analyzers for live or post processing.
- Digital pre-distortion (DPD) example – Use MATLAB software to use pre-distortion techniques to correct for the non-linearities caused by driving an amplifier near its power limitation.
- Advanced Data Visualization Application example for X-Series Analyzers – Analyze live X-Series signal analyzer data with 2-D and 3-D visualizations.
- Tune & Listen – This application example allows you to capture a signal with a spectrum analyzer, demodulate it, and play it out the PC speaker
Adding MATLAB software to the purchase of your Agilent signal generators and analyzers provides five key benefits:
- Convenience: Acquire your software and instrument on a single purchase order
- Confidence: MATLAB software sold through Agilent has been tested and qualified by Agilent
- Support: Contact either Agilent or The MathWorks for help with installation and technical questions
- Quick start: Acquire numerous application examples directly from Agilent to get started
- Reliability: Ensure that your MATLAB software is always available to you when you need it
Getting started using MATLAB with your Agilent instrument
Request a Custom Quote to get started ordering and using MATLAB with your Agilent instrument. Mention in the instructions field if you are interested in receiving a free trial of MATLAB software or access to a list of MATLAB examples for use with your Agilent instruments.